Sunday, January 24, 2021

FULL AHEAD

I have had the CNC kit just under one month. I have built ALL the frames, bulkheads, and almost all the flat panels. Why build the flat panels beforehand? Smooth bends! Pre-building one large flat smooth sheet will eliminate “hard spots” where panels join. NO hard spots means less grinding, fairing, and sanding (are we not going to do enough sanding already?)

Hull 113 and hull 79 are sharing the shop/glue tables, so we trade off everyday or so, to keep both boats moving forward. One will glue up a bulkhead the other a flat panel, then we switch places. I feel that very very soon our boats will go from “IKEA flatpack boats” to 3D on the strong back looking like a boat, boats!

Frame "S" + Dome

Deck (upside down)


Flat Panels

Bunk Risers

 


































































Hull Panel
















Currently, there is NO downtime. You can ALWAYS trim/route/sand/epoxy fill something. Later on, I may have to wait for epoxy to cure. Even before the kit arrived, there was work to do, the keel to build, tiller, spreaders and bow sprit to craft, classified ads to search/parts to source. If you want to relax and take it easy, there will be plenty of time for that ONCE you’re sailing. Right now it is “FULL AHEAD” to get to the start line.

Parts Ready to Install




2 comments:

  1. Hi Mical, saw on your cost list you got hatches from Cule in New Zealand. Interested to know what sizes you got for the forward bulkhead and companionway. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan,
    I ordered there "850x500" for the companionway, and "700x500" for D-1. (about as big as you can go, given the space)
    They are well made hatches, I would have preferred the anodized frame over the cheaper powdered coated.

    Sorry I never got back to you on the keel shaping ... I lost control and the fates gave me what they gave me, not what I wanted. Wanted Cor-ten steel, used W-46. Thought it was going to be water-jet cut, laser cut instead. Thought the machine shop was going to shape, we shaped ourselves. It was less expensive this way, I also could have NEVER done this without hull 113's mill.

    ReplyDelete